Ushnishavijaya

Ushnishavijaya is the Buddha of longevity. She constitutes the three Buddhas of long life.
As I started this sketch, I was in a meditative state of mind. Sketching, drawing, and I daresay art, in all its forms are meditative in nature simply because they require focus. While I have been meditating and getting my feet wet in the proverbial sense, by attending weekly meditations at a Buddhist temple, I've had some small successes but lately felt like I needed to push further, see some more proof. I don't know why; but with faith I always get signs and positive proof delivered by none other than my environment, to the point where I know god is with me. But after a while I can feel it waning and always want more proof. Anyway I went to meditation last week and to my dismay they were holding the service in Tamil(I think) whatever it was I couldn't understand a word. and I was like "well this is pointless" so I go to leave, and a little old Asian lady is sitting out in the foyer waiting. We started talking and I basically told her that the spirit was willing, but I feel like I've just arrived on a new planet in the middle of its wilderness. I didn't know where to start the learning process. She led me into the small library of the temple and gave me a few books. Mind you, I've been reading one book this whole time about the essentials of Theravadan Buddhism, but it was more like a history lesson than anything else.

Anyway, I started reading them and within the day, I mean I found the answers to everything I have ever questioned. I'm going to reserve that for another post when I know more. Also one of the problems with relaying this kind of profound information is the personal interpretation that may come with it and I want to avoid thatat all costs. I found it so easily, within the pages of a small book called "Early Western Buddhists" published by The Wheel publication which I imagine is what the Watchtower is to Jehovah's Witnesses. My mind was so blown. I'm so happy I found this, I can feel my spirituality growing. I was so scared  to leave behind the only teachings I ever knew (but didn't fully understand) to seek out the truth. Scared that it might be disappointing or terrifying. But the truth, which isn't biased, just is. It's just logical, and practical and it is complete and I am absolutely elated to have found it.

As I draw, I have more revelations. It takes quieting of the mind to work meticulously like this. I finished her up yesterday and wanted to share. Thanks for reading! Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neon Hot Nights in Tiki City

The Great Divide

Priya Terry (MisSwan)