The Spirit of Ronni

This is an amalgam of some of my experiences as of late. I've been going to meditation at a Buddhist temple every Sunday for a while now and I'm learning about the Dhamma and its benefits. I really love the inner peace and patience I'm gaining from practicing it.

I also went home to visit Detroit a few weeks back, which is usually a negative experience for me; for a lot of reasons. But this past time was good. It was warm, I got to see a lot of my cousins, aunts and uncles at the family reunion and I realized how much I missed them all.  I don't always readily like to associate myself with Detroit because there's alot of negative stigmas attached. But its home.

A lot of the reason I get so stressed when I go back is because the deterioration and poverty is so apparent and nothing like anywhere else in the US. The criminals are rampant like wild animals. The Police and Fire Departments' funding has been cut so drastically, they rarely try to to enforce anything. That's just the tip of the iceberg, but it's not a fun time going home to that kind of environment. Not to mention the physical look of  the city. It has become extremely commonplace to see burnt down houses, because people hit such financial crises that they would do it for insurance money. SO now there are entire blocks that are just vacant, burnt up houses; or if you're lucky, the city might have actually taken the time to destroy them. You understand why its depressing now?

But the last time I went back, the sun was shining like nothing was wrong and the wilderness is taking Detroit back. I don't know why, but seeing new saplings growing up through those burnt up shells of houses and wildflowers starting to overtake those vacant blocks again gave me a sense of hope. There were little rabbits everywhere and pheasants running through the high unkempt grass. Probably even foxes. It's becoming so devoid of human population that nature is happily taking back what has always been rightfully hers. Therein lies balance and hope for the city, yet.

So the pose is reminiscent of both the meditation posture and the "Spirit of Detroit" which is a sculpture that represents the city. Behind the sculpture is a scripture that reads:
"NOW THE LORD IS THAT SPIRIT
AND WHERE THE SPIRIT OF THE
LORD IS, THERE IS LIBERTY." II CORINTHIANS 3:17

This sketch is representing my roots in my persevering hometown and Christianity while also acknowledging my spiritual growth as a practicing Buddhist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neon Hot Nights in Tiki City

The Great Divide

Priya Terry (MisSwan)